Monday, June 05, 2006

Caught Up

Sometimes you just need to spend the entire weekend sleeping. Sometimes you don't realize how large of a sleep debt you've accumulated until you set about repaying it. This past Saturday was the end of a very long week. I was on the road, I made some big decisions and I lost a bit of sleep. Come Saturday night, I was back in Philadelphia and ready for a good night's sleep in my own bed.

I considered a sleeping pill. I knew that if I took an Ambien I'd fall asleep quickly and I'd probably sleep well through the night. I knew that if I took a Somnera I'd sleep well and I'd wake up feeling fresh. I didn't want to feel fresh. I wanted to wake up drowsy, drag myself to the couch, nap on and off all day and go back to bed after Big Love. I had just the thing.

There's a certain benzodiazepine called Klonipin (clonazepam) that would do the trick. Klonipin is usually prescribed for extreme anxiety and seizure disorders. Because of its long half-life (it stays in the circulation longer) Klonipin's effects last a long time. When I woke up at noon on Sunday I was barely conscious on my walk to the shower. As the effects of the Klonipin were still kickin', my limbs were feeling very heavy so I sat down to enjoy the shower. I awoke to find that 20 minutes had passed and the water was running cold on my head. Wrapped in a towel I maneuvered my way to the couch downstairs, where I spent the day drifting in and out of consciousness in front of the TV.

I had sweet dreams of Margene and a surprisingly appealing Nikki as I slept my way towards a new week. Klonipin is not a good sleeping pill. If you need something to help you sleep I would recommend a Somnera or an Ambien. Both are great sleeping pills. I generally feel better after a Somnera but Ambien is good too. Klonipin is just the thing for a weekend of hibernation.

No comments: